[BioRuby] RDF Triples in BioRuby, a funding proposal to Google SoC

Toshiaki Katayama ktym at hgc.jp
Wed Mar 10 14:21:15 UTC 2010

Hi Rutger,

Thank you for your inputs on GSoC 2010!

> * is there a way to express triples in BioRuby?
> * if there is not, what would be a good design to express triples in
> BioRuby so that this would be more useful than just for NeXML?

This is what we discussed during the pre-BioHackathon 2010.

http://hackathon3.dbcls.jp/wiki/BioRuby

My first idea was to make all BioRuby object have common output
method to render the object contents in various formats
(such as RDF/XML, Turtle, HTML, GFF, FASTA etc. if appropriate).

Then, we tried to separate view from logic using erb, but as you
see in the above page, it still looks ugly. It is mainly because
view formatting itself requires some additional codes, specific
to each format.

Therefore, we don't have a solid conclusion on this yet, unfortunately.

Anyway, we already have PubMed to RDF converter written in Ruby as
the TogoWS REST API (http://togows.dbcls.jp/site/en/rest.html) at

http://togows.dbcls.jp/entry/pubmed/16381885
--> http://togows.dbcls.jp/entry/pubmed/16381885.ttl

and, we are also trying to support KEGG to RDF conversion in this
framework as well. I think we can put the code in BioRuby when we finished.

Your suggestions are welcome. :)

Regards,
Toshiaki