[BioRuby] [GSoC][NeXML and RDF API] Tree with Multiple rootings.

Rutger Vos rutgeraldo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 14:21:27 UTC 2010

Hi Anurag,

in practice I haven't actually seen trees with multiple rootings being
used much, so it might not be urgent that this moves to the bioruby
core. My main worry would be in picking the "right" root node to
expose to the core api. I think that it should be the node from which
all other nodes can be visited in a recursive traversal (which I
expect client code to do), as opposed to a node that has been
indicated using an XML attribute to be the root, but isn't in terms of
the actual topology that emerges from the node and edge tables.

However, I'm curious to hear other people's opinions whether a flag
(e.g. "is_root") might be added Bio::Tree::Node, and a "get_roots"
method in Bio::Tree that returns a list of roots that typically only
holds the value of the "root" attribute, but could potentially have
multiple rootings.

Rutger

--
Dr. Rutger A. Vos