[BioRuby] Bio::Assembly

Chase Miller chmille4 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 11:29:41 UTC 2010

Pjtor

Thanks for the great ideas!  The BioLib project sounds interesting.  I'll
have to ask my old GSOC mentor Mark Jensen about it.

However, for my purposes, It may be easier to just code it up in ruby (also
I'm dying to write ruby code after moving over from perl :) ). What I need
is an ace parser and fairly simple scaffold and contig objects. Although
slim in features, it could be a good starting point for a pure ruby assembly
module, which I wouldn't mind maintaining.

How closely does BioRuby like to follow the BioPerl API?

I've noticed that BioRuby seems to handle file formats differently than
BioPerl, with most of them being in Bio::db/.  Can anyone expand on this?

Is there any place I can read about the best practices for BioRuby.  For
example, I haven't seen any instances of using hashes to pass parameters in
method calls e.g.

a.parse( :file => file, :format => format )

Is this frowned upon in BioRuby?

Thanks,
Chase