[BioRuby] Proposal: Bioruby modules (the bazaar)

Tomoaki NISHIYAMA tomoakin at kenroku.kanazawa-u.ac.jp
Fri Jan 22 09:48:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

>   Bio::Module.load(:html_alignment)

What is the benefit over
require 'bio/html_alignment' # no autoload by require 'bio'
?

>   Bio::Module.install(:html_alignment)
>
> will search the definition and install it.

I feel installation is easier from shell like:
$ ruby bioruby-inst-module html_alignment
but calling the Module.install internally is fine.

> (5) Modules can be updated outside Bioruby's mainline. e.g.
> Bio::Module.install(:html_alignment,:development=>true)

We need to have a mechanism to check the versions between
the standard bioruby and the modules. Especially when the
mainline bioruby is updated.  Different modules perhaps will
have different level of dependency on the bioruby code, and
update in the main bioruby code sometimes may break the old
module.

--
Tomoaki NISHIYAMA

Advanced Science Research Center,