[BioRuby] Proposal: Bioruby modules (the bazaar)

Yannick Wurm yannick.wurm at unil.ch
Thu Jan 21 18:21:40 UTC 2010

On 21 Jan 2010, at 18:00, bioruby-request at lists.open-bio.org wrote:

> re we really sure you want to reject this code just because it does
> not live up to everyone's current and future expectations? It may
> still be useful to someone else, you know, it does not break anything
> else, and can be improved in the future. Once we decide what we want
> to achieve.

> What hurts me now is that no one is going to use my code, since I
> don't have the time to make it perfect, and it is hidden in my
> experimental Bioruby branches. We should find a way to make
> 'experimental code' available to the rest of the community. That way
> we may also 'recruit' help to make the code more perfect.

I agree 100% that enthusiastic bioruby improvements like Pjotr's should be encouraged & given maximal visibility.
It's better to have great tools with room for improvement than no tools.
(a year or two ago I needed colored html alignments and ended up with an ugly, ugly hack that used t_coffee to generate html output from the alignments I'd generated elsewhere - something like Pjotr's code would have been much more elegant)

I also have the feeling that code contributions in general are given more negative than positive feedback on this list. I believe it's a grave mistake because the bioruby community will not grow without passionate users & contibutors and more quality code.

just my two cents,

yannick

          yannick . wurm @ unil . ch
Ant Genomics, Ecology & Evolution @ Lausanne