[BioRuby] SciRuby (The first BioRuby IRC conference on Dec 19th)

John Woods john.woods at marcottelab.org
Thu Dec 16 00:50:54 UTC 2010

I saw ruby-statsample, and it looks like one of many things we'd (ideally)
like to integrate.

I'm glad you brought up publishing to the web. We spent a not-insignificant
amount of time debating graphics platform, and ultimately we decided that
HTML5 canvas, and SVG-type graphics, were probably the ideal. For the
moment, we're looking at protovis. Interestingly, Claudio Bustos has been
working on a Ruby protovis port <http://rubyvis.rubyforge.org/> (he also
wrote ruby-statsample, I believe).

The other big piece is NArray. Masahiro Tanaka is apparently rewriting it
with a goal of getting it incorporated into Ruby core. John Prince has been
working on documentation for the existing NArray, in part to see if it's got
everything SciRuby would need. But ultimately, the NArray rewrite/core
integration is the key. It's years from being finished, supposedly -- but
perhaps if there are some eager volunteers we could speed that up. =)

So it seems like most of the pieces are present -- it's just a matter of
tying them together.

And I just said I wasn't going to get into detail -- but there, you just got
me going. =)

John