[BioRuby] SciRuby (The first BioRuby IRC conference on Dec 19th)

John Woods john.woods at marcottelab.org
Wed Dec 15 23:02:27 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I wanted to put in my two cents about this (not this specific email, but the
thread).

I come from a CS background, and so when I began working in bioinformatics,
I shifted from C++ to Python, Perl, back to Python, and finally to Ruby (and
Rails!).

Working in a bioinformatics lab, my experience has been that most people go
with Python over Ruby because of SciPy and NumPy (and matplotlib). At least
for us, it's not because of speed at all. If I need something speedy, I code
it in C++ and use Rice to build a Ruby adapter.

Anyway, a couple of us (me, John Prince, Ara Howard, a few others) have been
brainstorming a bit. We think the #1 thing Ruby is missing is SciRuby (and
with it, good numerical support).

To that end, we've been working a bit to put together a spec for how a
SciRuby with plotting and numeric capabilities would work.

I'm not quite ready to say anything specific about it publicly just yet, but
if you're interested in being involved, please write me back.

Best,
John O. Woods
NSF Fellow
The University of Texas at Austin