[BioRuby] BioRuby paper is just published

Toshiaki Katayama ktym at hgc.jp
Thu Aug 26 06:04:04 UTC 2010

Dear all,

After 10 years of development, the BioRuby paper is finally published in the Bioinformatics journal.
The article is open access, so please take a look.

BioRuby: Bioinformatics software for the Ruby programming language
Naohisa Goto, Pjotr Prins, Mitsuteru Nakao, Raoul Bonnal, Jan Aerts and Toshiaki Katayama
Bioinformatics 2010; doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btq475

Abstract:
http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/btq475

PDF:
http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/btq475

For the future publication, please cite this paper when you use the BioRuby library for your work. :-)

We sincerely thank all contributors (http://bioruby.open-bio.org/wiki/Contributors) so far. We are very sorry that we could not include all of your names in the manuscript due to the space limitation.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Pjotr Prins who has been lead this happen by hosting regular Skype meetings and worked very hard for drafting and editing the manuscript, as a joint first author.

I also thank DBCLS (Database Center for Life Science, Japan) for giving us several chances to meet each other by hosting the DBCLS BioHackathons (http://hackathon3.dbcls.jp http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20727200). Draft of the bioruby paper was emerged during the hackathons, and that's why we have only 6 authors in this publication. I ask your kind understanding on this.

The BioRuby project was originally started at the KEGG laboratory in Kyoto University and some resources are now hosted by Human Genome Center in Tokyo University, so I'd like to express my appreciation to these two institutes as well. Additionally, I also thank IPA (Information-technology Promotion Agency Japan) for 1 year grant in 2005 which greatly extended our motivation for further developments in coming years.

Best Regards,
Toshiaki Katayama