[BioRuby] Fwd: Re: BioSQL development

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Sun Aug 22 14:02:01 UTC 2010

Is the issue with GFF3 in the Bioruby to BioSQL mapping, or is somehow
in the BioSQL schema?

I recall there was a thread on GFF recently which I wasn't able to
follow, so if the answer is in that thread and isn't easy to sum up
here, just point me there.

	-hilmar

On Aug 22, 2010, at 6:30 AM, Julian Nordt wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> I just wanted to point that there are for sure people that have a
> greater
> experience in regard to the discussed db-schemas and might give you
> better
> advice on this topic than I'm able to do. As pointed out I have just
> recently started to work with bioruby. Hence it might be a good idea
> consider further opinions on this topic.
>
> However I did wanted to reply to you request, as your scenario sounded
> somewhat similar to one of the projects I have to work on.
>
> -- Julian
>
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:23:52 +0200, Rob Syme <rob.syme at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Toshiaki and Julian,
>>
>> Mapping features from gff may well become an issue. Until Raoul
>> gets back, I
>> might try and keep the data under the Chado schema as suggested by
>> Julian.
>> *If* I can get it clean enough, I'll offer it up for incorporation
>> into
>> bioruby.
>>
>> -r
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Julian Nordt <ju at ncoffee.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Rob,
>>>
>>> I tried to use the BioSQL part of Bioruby for a webapplication
>>> based on
>>> rails. With the idea of giving users the capability to upload
>>> genomes to the
>>> application. However the mapping between BioSQL <-> GFF3 is(?)/
>>> were not
>>> figured out completly, which was one of the reasons why I changed my
>>> implementation to CHADO scheme.
>>>

>>> In regard to your question I did use BioSQL in the following way:
>>>

>>> def openBioConnection
>>>   Bio::SQL.establish_connection(:adapter  => "mysql",
>>>                                 :host     => "localhost",
>>>                                 :username => "xxx",
>>>                                 :password => "xxx",
>>>                                 :database => "biosql_development")
>>> end
>>>

>>> def get_sequence(bio_entry_id)
>>>   openBioConnection()
>>>   if !bio_entry_id.blank?
>>>     return Bio::SQL::Biosequence.find_by_bioentry_id(bio_entry_id)
>>>   end
>>> end
>>>

>>> def setSeqFeatName(id,name)
>>>   seq_feat = Bio::SQL::Seqfeature.find_by_seqfeature_id(id)
>>>   Bio::SQL::Seqfeature.update(seq_feat.id, :display_name => name)
>>> end
>>>
>>> (! This does not mean that it is the correct way or intended way
>>> of usage
>>> as I'm new to ruby/bioruby !)
>>>
>>> I had to make some small modifications to
>>> bio-1.4.0\lib\bio\io\biosql\ar-biosql.rb and biosql.rb,
>>> unfortunately I do
>>> not remember where exactly. Mostlikely some changes in regard to the
>>> connection adapter and some changes to tablenames or similiar stuff.
>>>
>>> As you can see in ar-biosql.rb all the "classes" for the biosql
>>> orm are
> [...]

: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- hlapp at drycafe dot net :