[BioRuby] development updates?

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Tue Aug 10 20:15:24 UTC 2010

> I have been lurking around in Debian, and Git mailing list for a
> while and nothing happens off the list there.

Ultimately code talks. As Hilmar points out. In OSS a successful
project is one that remains relevant.

Refrain: We are all here to keep BioRuby relevant. That is the point
of this mailing list.

> I was just being enthusiastic about that X, and wanted to *share*
> it.  However things have gone totally awry. Maybe the way I essayed
> it down was wrong, or maybe I failed to realize that I should be a
> little more formal here. Or, maybe just that I should grow up a
> little more. I tend to be overly enthusiastic about things. In any
> case, it is my mistake and will you all please forgive me about it?

No need to forgive you for being enthusiastic. Enthusiasm is cool.

It would be great if you use your energy to run with an aspect of
your ideas. For one, documentation needs work. Prioritizing work and
distribution of work would be good too (if you can get people to
agree). The finding of synergy in a project is laudable. Some projects
benefit from strong leadership - like the Linux kernel.  Note that
strong leadership comes with respect - and in OSS that is based
(again) on code.

Meanwhile, a problem, as Chris pointed out, is that everyone is really
busy.  Programming happens in short bursts of activity, and tends to
be kinda 'ad hoc'. I think it is actually pretty amazing that we have
good individuals who modify 'ad hoc' code for broader use, so it
becomes available to more people.