[BioRuby] We have 2 and 1/2 days of spare time. Can we help?

George Githinji georgkam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 07:37:11 UTC 2010

Hi all,
The Regional Students Group for Eastern Africa (RSG-EA) is one of the
grass-root level bodies of the International Society for Computational
Biology Student Council (ISCB-SC). The group has membership from ten
countries namely Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti,
Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Tanzania and Uganda.
Recently we proposed to organize a biohakathon three day event to:

  1) Learn how to collaborate on bioinformatics programming projects
using open source tools.
  2) Forge an East African bioinformatics programming community.
  3) Contribute a module/code to Bioruby library.

The event has been sponsored by a grant from ISCB and ILRI/Beca
bioinformatics platform in Nairobi, Kenya.

We would like to seek for  a suitable project work from one of the
developer(s) and the community. The project should ideally be of
beginner to intermediate level difficulty. A third of the participants
will be of intermediate level programming skills with experience from
Java,Python and Perl. while the rest will have beginner level skills.

We were also wondering whether it would be possible to get one of the
lead contributors to bioruby project to give a short 15-20 minutes
introductory talk to the participants. We have excellent video
conferencing  facilities at the ILRI/Beca hub. The event is slated to
take place in late September.

Thank you

--
Sincerely