[BioRuby] development updates?

Anurag Priyam anurag08priyam at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 15:32:57 UTC 2010

Today I had a chat with Jan when I found that a manuscript on BioRuby is
under progress. I do not remember it being discussed on the list. Perhaps
BioRuby's development process needs to be a little more transparent, in the
sense that everybody should be kept in the loop for a more synergic
development process. Also chance of a new contributors chiming in increases
with a more active( updated ) list.

I would suggest that the list be constantly updated :
1. short and long term goals - targets for minor and major releases,
prioritizing bugs or feature requests or design decisions.
2. what is cooking - each developer could update the list on what he/she is
working at, or/and a fortnightly or a monthly update on the cummulative
development status( how much of the target has been achieved and stuff )
3. important decisions and changes.

Perhaps, a development specific list can be setup to keep the user and the
developer space segregated. A development list can also be attached to the
issue tracker so that developers are automatically updated on new bugs and
feature requests.

Or, a blog can be setup where regular commiters have posting access.

P.S : The idea behind this mail is to spark some discussion on a more
efficient software development culture and hopefully adopt it :).

--
Anurag Priyam,
3rd Year Undergraduate,