[BioRuby] participation in GSoC 2010

pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Fri Apr 30 08:10:29 UTC 2010

Hi Kazuhiro,

Please *reply* to the list.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:41:14PM +0900, Kazuhiro Hayashi wrote:
> At the moment, I am planning to put the code for 1.8.7 ,1.9.2 and ,if
> possible, JRuby only in one code base.
> I don't understand what the 'architecture' file is.
> Could you tell me it in a little more detail?

All 1.8 stuff goes into one file. All 1.9 in another. So there is
clear separation. When running Ruby 1.8 only that file gets
'required'. In pseudo-code.

if ruby_version<1.9
  if !isjvm?
    require 'bio/ruby-1.8'
  else
    require 'bio/ruby-jvm'
  end
else
  require 'bio/ruby-1.9'
end

Implementation specific stuff will go into these files (if possible).
Say you have a different println implementation, rather than
sprinkling the code base with:

if ruby_version<1.9
  if !isjvm?
    println_1 ...
  else
    println_2 ...
  end
else
  println_3 ...
end

You would 'hide' that in the architecture files. So you just get one
call in the source tree:

  println_arch ...

with implementation in the different 'architecture' files.