[BioRuby] participation in GSoC 2010

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Wed Apr 28 05:39:13 UTC 2010

Welcome Kazuhiro,

I am glad you take on this job. My main concern would be we don't
sprinkle 'if-then' blocks throughout the code base. I think the
challenge is to have one code base for Ruby 1.8, 1.9 and JRuby without
having code exceptions. That should be the top priority.

Where it is not possible to avoid two code paths, find ways of
isolating the issue in one single 'architecture' file - e.g. in
./lib/bio/ruby1.8.rb and ./lib/bio/ruby1.9.rb.

Only in the few instances there are real performance concerns I would
diverge from such a strategy.

I don't know how they handle it in Rails, but I would take hints from
there.

Pj.