[BioRuby] GSoC question (regarding SDI algorithm)

Christian M Zmasek czmasek at burnham.org
Mon Apr 5 23:24:17 UTC 2010

Hi, Monika:

Thank you for you interest in this proposal.
Please remember that student applications are due by April 9, 19:00 UTC
-- so, you have not much time left.

I think your lack of experience in Biology is not a problem.

The idea is to implement the algorithm with the BioRuby toolkit
(http://www.bioruby.org/).

Some more advice:

If you plan to apply, you need to write a very detailed plan on how you
intend to accomplish this project.

For each step you should list:
1. Goal/deliverable
2. Approach
3. Time estimation
4. Anticipated problems & possible alternative approaches

Like so:

A. Prior to coding (from ... to .... )
     1. Familiarize myself with BioRuby, set up git hub repository
     2. ...
     3. 1 week
     4. Not familiar with git, might need to...

B. Week 1 (from ... to .... )
     1. Develop unit tests
     2. Using manually created gene and species trees, I plan to...
     3. 1 week
     4. No problem anticipated

Basically you also need to write a short CV, similar to a job application.

Hope this helps,

Christian