[BioRuby] [Wg-phyloinformatics] bioruby classes for phyloxml support

Christian M Zmasek czmasek at burnham.org
Wed May 27 02:01:28 UTC 2009

Hi:

It's a great idea to look at TDWG's standards.
But to me, these standards seem designed specifically for collections in museums and, not surprisingly, biodiversity applications. For the purposes of comparative genomics and related fields, these taxonomy concepts seem a little bit overkill.
In my experience, taxonomy objects which can contain a scientific name, a common name, a mnemonic, and a (typed) identifier (which could be a Uniform Resource Name (URN) or a NCBI taxonomy id) are sufficient for most applications. This is pretty much what phyloXML's taxon element contains now.
Of course, this does not mean that a potential taxonomy class in BioRuby has to follow the concept for phyloXML.

What do you think?

Christian