[BioRuby] [Wg-phyloinformatics] GSOC: phyloXML for BioRuby: Mapping sequence

Christian M Zmasek czmasek at burnham.org
Tue Jun 9 19:18:20 UTC 2009

Hi:

Thank you for the detailed comments.

I think this is a very crucial point, since sequence and taxonomy are
the two most important elements.

At this point, I would recommend to create a special class for
phyloxml-sequence, and add methods/constructors to it which make
transferring to and from Bio::Sequence easy.
But I can definitely see the advantages of directly using Bio::Sequence,
too.

Also, please don't forget that, should a consensus/strong opinion
emerge, we could also add features to the phyloxml-sequence definition
to make it match BioRuby and BioPython sequence better.

Christian

Naohisa GOTO wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for delay.
>
> On Sat, 30 May 2009 17:27:52 -0400
> Diana Jaunzeikare <rozziite at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> So I looked more carefully at the sequence element of phyloXML and it
>> consists of information which cannot be mapped to Bio::Sequence object. I
>> suggest to have a sequence class which closely resembles phyloXML structure
>> and then have a method to extract relevant elements return Bio::Sequence
>> object.  What do you think?
>>

> In this case, the method to convert from Bio::Sequence to the
> phyloXML sequence class is also needed.
>
> If some of the attributes are really essential and not specific
> to phyloXML but will be needed from other data types, it is
> also possible to add new attributes to Bio::Sequence.
>

>> Here on the left i listed phyloXML sequence tag elements and after the arrow
>> -> the possible corresponding attribute of Bio::Sequence
>> * type
>> ** rna, dna  -> Bio::Sequence::NA -> molecule type
>> ** aa -> Bio::Sequence::AA
>> * id_source (string ?) -> id_namespace
>> * id_ref (string ) -> entry_id

id_source and id_ref are actually used to describe relations between
sequences, for example to describe orthology-relationships.

>> * symbol (string ?)
>> * accession
>> ** source (example: "UniProtKB") ->
>> ** id (example: "P17304") ->  primary_accession

** source -> id_namespace
** id -> primary_accession (or entry_id)