[BioRuby] Problem with PAML wrapper

Marc Hoeppner marc.hoeppner at molbio.su.se
Wed Feb 25 07:14:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

now with vers. 1.3 released (congrats on that by the way!), I was hoping
to speed up some analyses by using the Bio::PAML module. However, I
can't get it to work...

Ruby info:
ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [universal-darwin8.0]
on a Macbook, Os X 10.5

This is what I tried:

1) read in a fasta file -> to Bio::Alignment::OriginalAlignment
Verified the object (i.e. alingment.each_pair produces what it should,
so I am assuming that step was successful)
2) read in a newick-type tree (with branch lengths.. ) and converted it
to Bio::Tree - again, printed it out to see if it worked, and it did.
3) Verified that taxon labels in both files/objects were identical
4) Verified that all the sequences in the alignment were in fact of
equal lengths

I then tried to use the module as described:

baseml = Bio::PAML::Baseml.new
report = baseml.query(alignment,tree)

-> nothing happens, i.e. program just exists normally, report.to_yaml
shows an empty object.

In order to confirm that PAML was working and that the data is, in
principle, compatible with Baseml, I created a normal ctl file and ran
the whole analysis from command line. And that worked.

So I then tried to do it the less sophisticated way:

baseml = Bio::PAML::Baseml.new
baseml.run(my_local_ctl_file)

Again, nothing happened (should print out the results to the screen, as
I understand it).

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong here? I suspect a problem with
the creation of the temporary folder/files, but frankly don't know
enough about the details to follow up on that. Also, I would guess that
such issues were addressed when developing the module (?).

Cheers,

Marc