[BioRuby] Feedback requested on OBO module

John O. Woods john.woods at marcottelab.org
Fri Aug 7 18:23:22 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I'm pretty new to Ruby (and Rails), first of all. I wrote a simple reader
for OBO files (attached). It does not write (currently), but it can
interface with ActiveRecord and acts-as-dag to create a directed acyclic
graph in a database.

As a newbie, I suspect I'm doing some things wrong, or at least not as
correctly as they could be done. For example, usually rails migrations that
fail undo all of their changes; but I can't figure out how I'd write that. I
attempted to do so, but it apparently does not work (have to set
:save_immediately => true to get it to work).

I'd love some feedback, if anyone would be willing to take a quick look at
my code.

I've also attached a test file from Flybase. An object can be created with:
od = Bio::OboDoc.new("filename.obo")

Thanks!
John