[BioRuby] Installation from git repository on a MAC Intel 10.5.5

Davide Rambaldi davide.rambaldi at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Mon Oct 13 14:34:49 UTC 2008

On 13 Oct 2008, at 16:07, Adam Kraut wrote:

> Hi Davide,
>
> Have you tried using the --prefix option for the 'install' command?
> The prefix only applies to the install task according to the help.
> This appears to be working OK for me on 10.5.5
>
> /usr/bin/ruby install.rb install --prefix=/System/Library/Frameworks/
> Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr

Yeah something similar (note the final lib) do the job:

sudo ruby install.rb install --prefix=/System/Library/Frameworks/
Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/

BUT note the I have to specify also lib (or it will install in /System/
Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/ an the library in
unreachable)

NOW:

wst433:bioruby default$ irb
 >> require 'bio'
=> true

But (cause I have added the prefix /System/Library/Frameworks/
Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/)

I have now the bin into:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/System/
Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/

terrible! :(

sigh

I hate MAC frameworks.....

> Note that I personally compile my own Ruby in /usr/local and don't
> recommend using the Ruby supplied by Apple.  YMMV.

I am agree with you, and I have personally compiled my 1.8.7 ruby in /
usr/local/bin

but may be is important to report the bug: automatic installation of
bio.rb and bio directory in / (root) is painful for the general user

(imagine someone that see the error, want to remove /bio and for
mistake type: sudo rm -rf / .... and the HD is gone! )