[BioRuby] new release Bio::Graphics

Jan Aerts jan.aerts at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Jan 28 14:47:59 UTC 2008

All,

I've uploaded a new version of Bio::Graphics on
http://bio-graphics.rubyforge.org. Current version now is 1.4. Most
notable new features:
* drawing of composite features (such as transcripts)
* drawing of vertical pictures
* easier assignment of optional arguments: these now use keywords
* users can easily create their own glyphs just by creating a file
describing them

A small example (adapted from the homepage):
<BEGIN EXAMPLE)
  # Load the library
  gem 'bio-graphics' # or require 'bio-graphics' or require_gem 'bio-graphics'

  # Create the panel
  my_panel = Bio::Graphics::Panel.new(500, :width => 1000)

  # Create the tracks
  generic_track = my_panel.add_track('generic', :label => false)
  directed_spliced_track = my_panel.add_track('directed_spliced', :label => false, :glyph => :directed_spliced, :colour => [1,0,1])

  # Add features to each track
  generic_track.add_feature(Bio::Feature.new('clone', '250..375'), :link => 'http://www.newsforge.com')
  generic_track.add_feature(Bio::Feature.new('clone', '54..124'), :glyph => :line)
  generic_track.add_feature(Bio::Feature.new('clone', '100..449'), :colour => [1,1,0], :glyph => :box)
  directed_spliced_track.add_feature(Bio::Feature.new('cds','join(34..52,109..183)'), :link => 'http://www.google.com')
  directed_spliced_track.add_feature(Bio::Feature.new('cds', 'complement(join(170..231,264..299,350..360,409..445))'), :link => 'http://bioinformatics.roslin.ac.uk')

  my_panel.draw('glyph_showcase.png')
<END EXAMPLE>

A major effort has been put into this release by Charles Comstock.
Thanks Charles.

I'll try and find some time to further improve the library. But if
anyone is willing to put a bit of effort in it: that'd be great. There
are still a few things to be done, including speeding things up and
drawing continuous features (e.g. GC content).

Any questions/suggestions, please let me know.
jan.

--
Dr Jan Aerts
Bioinformatics Group

----...and the obligatory disclaimer----
Roslin Institute is a company limited by guarantee, registered in
Scotland (registered number SC157100) and a Scottish Charity (registered
number SC023592). Our registered office is at Roslin, Midlothian, EH25
9PS. VAT registration number 847380013.

The information contained in this e-mail (including any attachments) is
confidential and is intended for the use of  the addressee only. The
opinions expressed within this e-mail (including any attachments) are
the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of
Roslin Institute (Edinburgh) ("the Institute") unless specifically
stated by a sender who is duly authorised to do so on behalf of the
Institute.