[BioRuby] Post Hackathon tasks

Jan Aerts jan.aerts at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 09:54:37 UTC 2008

Thanks Shameer.

> * Flat file conversion module (Genbank, FASTA, PIR, EMBL, SP, etc. )
> Is there any flat file/feature rich format conversion module in BioRuby.
> If it is not there it will be nice to see one in the next release. This
> will be one of the basic and useful utility.

This happens to be something we started working on during the hackathon.
You'll be able to read an EMBL file and write it out as GenBank. Formats
we're looking at at the moment are GenBank, EMBL and Fasta.

> * Revised tutorials are always welcome Alex, Hope you will include the
> examples based on the last two bio.pdb doubts as well.
These should end up on the new wiki:
http://bioruby.open-bio.org/wiki/Main_Page -> Documentation -> Tutorials

I'm planning on working on a tutorial myself on how to recalculate
positions between query and subject in a BLAST output.

> *** I am interested to contribute to BioRuby project, It will be great if
> somebody can direct me to do some works. Documentation work will be fine
> in the beginning and later I can contribute some modules as well.
We might be able to think of something :-)

jan.