[BioRuby] FW: installing bio::graphics

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Sun Feb 17 16:16:32 UTC 2008

Take into account the following factors:

1. You may have multiple versions of Ruby installed (and dev
libraries)

2. You may have multiple versions of gem installed (apt, or native)

3. You may have multiple versions of supported libraries installed
(apt or native, in /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib/ or $HOME)

I have had issues with different combinations of these. Debian, with
its hare brained decision of splitting out Ruby into native
packages, tends to accentuate the problem. It has little to do with
Ruby itself - it is a package management issue and gems do not
always play with apt.

Careful checking of which ruby you are using and which packages get
loaded in the load path (I sometimes just put invalid code in sources
to see whether it will break) will solve it for you.