[BioRuby] bl2seq question

Tomoaki NISHIYAMA tomoakin at kenroku.kanazawa-u.ac.jp
Tue Dec 9 04:56:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

Surely, it is possible to make ruby execute the command.
I originally wrote Bl2seq as such.
To pass the two sequences without writing to temporary files,
I used a trick to use three forks and /dev/fd/
which will not be very portable.
Thus, I think it is too tricky to incorporate into a general ruby
library like bioruby,
and have sent only the result formatting code.
A more portable way is to write the two sequences to temporary files and
then call bl2seq, delete the two files afterwards.

Sending the data to some http server might be written in a portable way,
though I didn't like idea to pay overheads to send to
a http server just for comparing two sequences.
(I didn't try and thus have no measurement for the performance)

--
Tomoaki NISHIYAMA

Advanced Science Research Center,
Kanazawa University,