[BioRuby] Help with Bio::Blast

Greg Traub gtraub at flmnh.ufl.edu
Tue Aug 12 18:09:56 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm new to BioRuby but not new to Ruby. I've been trying to write code
to submit a fasta formated sequence for BLAST search, however I never
get back anything thats usable. After reading the documentation, I
should be receiving xml formated responses to my search, but I dont
receive anything. I altered the code in Bio::Blast class to print out
whatever raw data was being sent back from my request and to my
surprise, I keep receiving standard formated HTML page that tells me my
request is either requesting the wrong program or the wrong database .
I've been trying to use 'blastn' with 'nr' or 'nr-nt' ...documentation
seems differ as to what the name of the databases are, so I've tried all
of them with no luck. Now what really gets me is that i should be
getting back XML. I would even an expect the error message to be in XML
but instead its in a  HTML page  with javascript included.  This makes
me think that the request is going to URL not intended for XML
tried below.

Thanks,
Greg

#files is array of file locations
#res is response
#im just trying to get back any info i can from the request
#in the example code below

blast = Bio::Blast.remote('blastn','nr')
files.each do |file|
     Bio::FastaFormat.open(file).each_entry do |c|
        reports = blast.query(c.seq)
        reports.each { |report| res << report.query_seq }
     end
end

--
Database Programmer