[BioRuby] bioruby docs

Shameer Khadar shameer at ncbs.res.in
Fri Oct 12 18:43:50 UTC 2007

I missed the list id last time. Here's my reply to Pjotr Prins mail.

Hi,

  Criticism is good and Jan is a respected contributor to BioRuby.
  Nevertheless with open source projects we have to take great care at
  giving people their due respect and it is easier to criticise the
  management side of this type of project than actually fixing stuff. I
  have seen to many opensource projects where people don't actually
  commit themselves fully after lengthy discussions on 'how to do
  things'.

 Before reading Jan's Blog, I didnt search much about his contributions to
 the project (sorry for that :( ), its only after reading the blog in
 detail I came to know about his contributions to the project (especially
 graphics and ensembl API). I just joined this list couple of months back
 and started to learn Ruby from the links that provided by Naohisa GOTO.
 Now I reached in a position to read up and understand the flow of code. I
 want to explore new areas in BioRuby like ROR. Its only yesterday I came
 to know about dedicated server softwares are there for ROR (light_httpd &
 MONGREL etc),. For a person like me with programming experience in LAMP,
 it may take some time to understand these kind of basic technical stuffs.

  So, until a number of individuals steps up and says "WE WANT TO RUN
  WITH THIS PROJECT AND MAKE IT A GREAT SUCCESS", I will favour the
  idea of running with the people who have made it a success, so far.
  Otherwise, it is unfair on the guys who have put in a lot of their
  free time and energy to get where we are.

 This is true. I strongly agree with you. I can see the dates as old as
 2003 in  BioRuby homepage, Project is atleast 5 years old. There should be
 strong inputs from the core-developers to push the project to greater
 heights.

  Almost all open source project hinge on a few individuals - and
  BIORUBY could do better (I agree), but who has the real time and
  energy and has the proven coding track record? Both Jan and Trevor
  belong in the last category - but I know they don't have time.

 BIORUBY could do better - thats the point !!! In my day today work I am
 dealing with sequenc and structure data/database and I am developing web
 based applications and databases using the LAMP. If I can do my job in
 simple and effects way using a new language/technology (Ruby/ROR). I am
 happy to learn that. There will be many like me who are ready to learn and
 use this in Bioinformatics application development.  Several People are
 using Ruby/BioRuby/ROR extensively (But not all bioinformaticians... ), if
 they could share the links/blogs or some of them can update the HOW-TO's
 and doc in BioRuby doc Wiki. BioRuby will get much better visibility and
 appreciation that it deserves.

 PS. My mail was not intend to be a criticising one. I am extremly sorry if
 it sounds like that to anyone. It was an excitement of a Bioinformtics
 programmer wondering about the exciting thing that he is going to do using
 BioRuby/ROR.
--
Shameer