[BioRuby] bioruby docs

Pjotr Prins pjotr2007 at thebird.nl
Fri Oct 12 11:20:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 02:48:32PM +0530, Shameer Khadar wrote:
> Here is an excellent article about the status of BioRuby
> http://saaientist.blogspot.com/
> (NB: Not official but an excellent personal perspective)

Criticism is good and Jan is a respected contributor to BioRuby.
Nevertheless with open source projects we have to take great care at
giving people their due respect and it is easier to criticise the
management side of this type of project than actually fixing stuff. I
have seen to many opensource projects where people don't actually
commit themselves fully after lengthy discussions on 'how to do
things'.

So, until a number of individuals steps up and says "WE WANT TO RUN
WITH THIS PROJECT AND MAKE IT A GREAT SUCCESS", I will favour the
idea of running with the people who have made it a success, so far.

Otherwise, it is unfair on the guys who have put in a lot of their
free time and energy to get where we are.

Almost all open source project hinge on a few individuals - and
BIORUBY could do better (I agree), but who has the real time and
energy and has the proven coding track record? Both Jan and Trevor
belong in the last category - but I know they don't have time.