[BioRuby] License

Trevor Wennblom trevor at corevx.com
Fri Mar 30 06:14:13 UTC 2007

On Mar 29, 2007, at 11:32 PM, Toshiaki Katayama wrote:

> Advantage:
> * we (developers and users) can be free from this kind of boring
> comparison. :)
>
> Disadvantage:
> * none.

Just about to go to bed so this will be brief.

The biggest advantage to moving to the Ruby license, which is
essentially the MIT license,[1] is that is compatible with Ruby
itself.  What an honor it would be - though not necessarily desired -
to be included in the main Ruby package itself as a standard
library.  The least we can do is acknowledge the word "Ruby" is
itself in the name of the project.

Let us not forget that the Ruby license is completely compatible with
the GPL according to the Free Software Foundation.[2]

Trevor

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License
[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_License