[BioRuby] Fork => suggestions

Toshiaki Katayama ktym at hgc.jp
Tue Mar 27 05:24:14 UTC 2007

Trevor, Jan,

Thank you for all of your discussions to make our bioruby community better.
And, Pj, thank you for your kind personal mail.

I'm very sorry that I couldn't spare enough time for the release management,
but I'll work on bioruby extensively starting from tomorrow until April 1
to make the next release.

Trevor, could you suspend your fork plan until my attempt fails?
One more thing, do you think your modules are ready for the next release?

Jan, your board plan (1) sounds nice as I'm not good in release management.
I think face-to-face meeting will accelerate to make it possible,
so if we could have BoF meeting during the BOSC 2007, it would be great.
Everyone who wish to involved in the bioruby development and future planning,
please consider to gather there.

These days, I slowly worked on brushing up the bioruby shell to use with rails.
I wish to figure out how it can be integrated with rails smoothly.
I hope to provide repository which stores bioinformatics related rails plug-ins,
rake tasks, models etc. so that user can develop your-own databases, web services
and workflows easily utilizing the functionality of bioruby.
This might also serve as Jan's plan (2).

But I still not sure how it should be shaped.
Switching towards svn may solve the part of technical problems,
but, personally I want to wait until OS X includes svn by default.
Does anyone know whether Leopard includes svn?

I'll respond to mails stacking in my mail box as much as possible
during this week.

(3) future reqests + bugs
I agree with utilizing rubyforge. Last year, I added some todo list there.
Trevor, do you think Trac is better?

(4) missing? :)

(5) blog
Writing English blogs must be a burden for me, but I'm happy to create
links to yours at bioruby.org

(6) manuscript
Your draft was excellent but I want to rewrite it to cover various aspects
that bioruby offers, and want to include future plans which may stand out
the difference with other Open Bio* projects.

Regards,
Toshiaki Katayama