[BioRuby] Bio-projects comparison

Moses M. Hohman mmhohman at northwestern.edu
Sun Nov 26 23:19:53 UTC 2006

Hi Yannick,

I should clarify my point: My concern is not about disk space, but
rather that I might want to be able to select separately which
restriction site library and which sequence manipulation library I
wanted to use. With any openbio project currently it's all or
nothing, so as a result people are not encouraged to develop a better
sequence library, for example (not that I'm complaining specifically
about the sequence library, I'm just giving an example). That is,
because the sequence manipulation part of bioruby is "already
written", no one will write another one. In some ways this is good,
because people can just use existing software, but in other ways this
slows down the pace of innovation. I would imagine someone could
improve on the design of one or two libraries in any of the openbio
projects, but people generally don't. It'd be nice to have some kind
of way of doing this in bioruby, IMHO, something like plugins in
Rails. And, I think this could distinguish bioruby from other openbio
projects.

Moses