[BioRuby] Important news for bioruby developers

Toshiaki Katayama k at bioruby.org
Sat Mar 25 08:01:05 UTC 2006

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking care of the server migration.

On 2006/03/22, at 1:32, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the interruption but I've got some important site and server news. People will also see multiple copies of this note as I slowly transition sites over.
>
> We are in the midst of moving all of our websites, mailing lists, developers and sourcecode repositories onto more modern hardware located in a 2nd Boston area datacenter facility.
>
> This may not be a big deal for bioruby since your website, wiki and news site are not hosted by Open Bio.  Keep reading though as there are some questions/favors  I need to ask of the Ruby developers down below ...
>
> The transition is important for a couple of reasons - the most urgent being that we are going to lose internet connectivity in our current hosting facility on March 27th 2006.  That datacenter belongs to Wyeth Research in Cambridge, Massachusetts.  Wyeth Research & Genetics Institute have been long time significant supporters & hosting providers for OBF servers and projects -- we owe them a great deal of gratitude and public acknowledgment for hosting our servers over many years. Speaking as a hardware geek I can tell you that the many years of high-bandwidth, trouble free hosting have been invaluable for our efforts and projects.   Sadly, it is no longer possible for them to host our servers as they need to begin making some network and WAN circuit changes that will no longer support direct internet facing servers (such as ours) in Cambridge.
>
> The other major reason for the transition is our need to relocate onto hardware that can better be remotely managed (as our volunteer administrators are scattered all over the globe).
>
> My employer, BioTeam Inc. has donated new server hardware and is also providing the hosting facilities in a Tier 1 Boston area colocation facility. Infrastructure geeks can see pictures of the colocation  cage and the new OBF servers online at this URL:
>
> Current status of the migration:
>
>  - All 57 mailing lists have been moved over to the new hardware (you may have noticed "lists.open-bio.org" showing up in your list messages)
>
>  - The new anonymous sourcecode server is running at http://code.open-bio.org. "cvs.biodas,.org" is already pointing at it.
>
>  - Developers with CVS accounts have *NOT* been migrated yet
>
> Basically we are trying to relocate everything but the developers over the next few days so we can spend the weekend on the developer and CVS transition.
>

> Attention BioRuby Developers
>
> I need assistance with the following:
>
> (1) Please confirm to me or support at open-bio.org that you have NO websites running on Open Bio servers. It appears you host your own wiki/news/web sites

Yes, we have NO websites on Open Bio servers for now.

> (2) Please change your website front page to reflect the new URLs for your mailing lists:

Done.

> (3) Please CNAME alias or web forward "cvs.bioruby.org"  to code.open-bio.org to use t

Does this mean "cvs.open-bio.org" is no longer available or not synced with "code.open-bio.org"?
Currently, we forward "http://cvs.bioruby.org" to "http://cvs.open-bio.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/?cvsroot=bioruby"

> (4) However you do your mail forwarding, please make sure that mail for bioruby.org mailing lists gets redirected to "lists.open-bio.org"

Done.