[BioRuby] classes for chromosomes, genes, exons, polymorphisms, ...

jan aerts (RI) jan.aerts at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 5 10:14:22 UTC 2006

All,

As far as I know, there are no classes that describe biological concepts
such as 'a chromosome', or 'a gene', or 'an exon'. I'm working out if I
need these things for my own purposes, but wonder if it would be
worthwhile to include them into bioruby? I was thinking of something
like:
  Bio::Entity::Chromosome
  Bio::Entity::Gene
  Bio::Entity::Exon
  Bio::Entity::Repeat
  Bio::Entity::Polymorphism
    Bio::Entity::SNP
    Bio::Entity::Microsatellite

I don't know if Bio::Entity::Chromosome would be necessary, because its
principal use would be to holds annotations (i.e. act as a map), so I
suppose that Bio::Map::SimpleMap could be instead...

Bio::Entity::Gene would include Bio::Map::ActsAsMarker and
Bio::Map::ActsLikeMap, so that a gene can be mapped to something like a
chromosome, but it can also have exons or polymorphisms mapped to it.

Worth to pursue this? And if so: any ideas/comments welcome...

Jan Aerts, PhD
Bioinformatics Group
Roslin Institute
Roslin, Scotland, UK
+44 131 527 4200

---------The obligatory disclaimer--------
The information contained in this e-mail (including any attachments) is
confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee only.   The
opinions expressed within this e-mail (including any attachments) are
the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of
Roslin Institute (Edinburgh) ("the Institute") unless specifically
stated by a sender who is duly authorised to do so on behalf of the
Institute.