[Biopython] Adding SEQRES to a pdb structure

Ahmad Abdelzaher underoath006 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 16:35:19 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

First I want to explain what I'm doing  to make sure I will accomplish what
I want to do using what I'm trying to do. My main question, of course, is
if I can do it using Biopython, and how.

I have two structures of Tubulin homologs. One (unmodelled) has the loop
from Q35 to K60 unmodeled. The loop is still shown when I open the sequence
in Chimera. The other one has the same loop modelled.

Upon inspection of the two pdb's in a text editor, the unmodelled structure
has a block with a header called "SEQRES". I'm guessing that's where
Chimera gets the sequence from (see picture)?

Now the question, is can I create and add a SEQRES block to the modelled
structure and then delete the loop coordinates? Would that accomplish what
I'm trying to do? How can I do it in Biopython?

Regards.