[Biopython] Bioinformatics with Python cookbook

Tiago Rodrigues Antao tra at popgen.net
Tue Jul 7 16:26:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 07:56:24 -0700
Radhouane Aniba <aradwen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Congrats Tiago,
>
> I am wondering if you emphasized unit testing in your book.

No, in hindsight I should have talked about it. While the
objective was not to spend much time on things that other books
discuss, at the very least I should have referred that as a best
practice.

The focus of the book is computational biology recipes to solve very
practical biological problems. I expect readers to pick up best
practices in Python and software development elsewhere.

That being said I talk a little bit about more general problems that I
think I quite common nowadays: interfacing with R, Cython and Numba,
performance and large dataset processing.

But 90% of the book discusses things like filtering VCF files, reading
SAM files, computing FSTs, visualizing proteins, plotting biological
geo-referenced information on maps, reconstructiong and visualizing
phylogenetic trees, ...

Thus centred on computational biology problems, not specifically on
software engineering for bioinformatics...

Tiago