[Biopython] GSoC 2015: Interactive visualisations for GenomeDiagram

Lucas van Dijk info at lucasvandijk.nl
Thu Feb 26 22:30:43 UTC 2015

Hi all!

I don't know if you guys already have a contender, but I'm really
interested to be part of the Google Summer of Code this year, and
especially doing the interactive visualisations for GenomeDiagram project!

A little bit about myself:
- I'm 24 years old and from the Netherlands, currently studying at Delft
University of Technology.
- Electrical (Computer) Engineering background
- Started this year with the master Bio-informatics
- Very experienced in Python, and I also have done a lot of webdev work so
Javascript is no problem.
- Currently have a small side job (1 day/week) as python software engineer
where I create tools and webservices to visualise GIS related data.

Why this project:
- I'm really excited for the field of Bio-informatics, and I want to get
more experience with the existing toolkits
- I like making visualisations
- This looks like something I can handle :)

About the project:
You mention the library Bokeh, which looks very awesome, but it may depend
on a lot of other libraries which are not necessary for the rest of
BioPython. Some possibilities:
- Make bokeh and all its dependencies optional: display a nice error
message if the dependencies aren't installed when using trying to create a
visualisation
- Put it the other way around: Create a separate python package which
depends on BioPython for creating the visualisations.

By the way, any particular reason for the choice of Bokeh, besides looking
awesome? Any thoughts on Vispy or other libraries?

Hope to hear from you guys!

With kind regards,
--
Lucas van Dijk