[Biopython] accessing PDB IDcode when using PDBParser

João Rodrigues anaryin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:37:44 UTC 2012

Hey Mark,

Indeed there is no specific ID extraction from the HEADER. However, it
comes as part of the "head" key in the header dictionary. If you split by
whitespace and get the last field, you get the PDB ID.

Example:

HEADER    HYDROLASE(ASPARTYL PROTEINASE)          17-OCT-89   2RSP

The id you have in the get_structure function retrieves the first argument
you pass to it.

Cheers,

João [...] Rodrigues
http://nmr.chem.uu.nl/~joao