[Biopython] Representing biological networks was: Re: (no subject)

Leighton Pritchard Leighton.Pritchard at hutton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 30 11:55:46 UTC 2012

Hi,

I use Cytoscape and NetworkX, which cope perfectly well - as far as I've pushed them - with GML as a language for data transfer (you might want to get into the habit of using the relabel=True option when using read_gml(), though ;) ).

However, for biological networks, you might also want to look at SBML which, unlike XGMML, is actively maintained and biology-specific, to see if it meets your needs.  Cytoscape handles this format directly, but coverage is still lacking in NetworkX (which would be the appropriate place for this, rather than Biopython, in my opinion).  There is a Python API to libSBML, though.

http://sbml.org/Main_Page

http://sbml.org/Software/libSBML/docs/python-api/

http://wiki.cytoscape.org/Cytoscape_User_Manual/Network_Formats

https://networkx.lanl.gov/trac/ticket/325