[Biopython] search ncbi automatically

Lapointe, David David.Lapointe at umassmed.edu
Tue Apr 10 00:09:57 UTC 2012

Hi Jessica,

David Hibbett , at Clark Univ, had a program with a similar purpose. See http://www.clarku.edu/faculty/dhibbett/.

Genbank publishes daily updates which can be scanned for taxa with some biopython scripts. That would involve some downloading every day or so. Each file ranges from 10-100 Mb compressed,though some days there might be a 900 Mb file.  A new version of Genbank happens every 2 months so if you have  division ( VRL, PRI, etc) that interests you. you can download all of the pieces of that division and rsync when a new Genbank version comes around.

David