[Biopython] Why so few recipes in the cookbook?

Daniel Silvestre daniel at dim.fm.usp.br
Thu Jan 7 18:51:05 UTC 2010

Hi people,

This year will be fantastic for bioinformaticians/biologist and hybrids
like me !!!

As a side product of my thesis, I'm preparing some courses in
bioinformatics oriented to biologists and physicians (I work at a very
large medical complex with lots of underused fine clusters).

And, of course, I'll need help to shape up the examples in a more OO
way. Most of my work is done in pure C99 (a lot of void pointers) and I
mainly use python as an interface between databases and my small programs.

But, for the moment, my thesis will hang up this project a little.
Nevertheless, it's in the second place on my priority queue.

By the way, the bloggers from Blue Collar, Programming for Scientists,
Yokofakun and related are on the list? They have nice examples that
really work.

So, the cookbook will take off !!! This is a promise. I really want to
use it on my classes.

See you very soon,
Daniel

Brad Chapman wrote:
> Peter and Daniel;
> Really interesting discussion. Documentation is an area that can
> always use more work to appeal to a wider audience.
>
> Daniel:
>>> While this tutorial is enough to CS-oriented guys, it's a really big
>>> step to grasp such information for people from other communities.
>>> That's why I'm always a little confused about the idea behind bio
>>> projects. If the idea is programming of scientists, the approach is
>>> way too CS.
>
> This stresses why we actively encourage contributions from biologists
> as well. Many of the contributors to Biopython tend more towards the
> programming/bioinformatics side, since that experience helps in building
> up and appreciating a re-usable toolkit. When those same people write
> documentation, it is going to be naturally biased towards the sort of
> work they do.
>
> I'd definitely encourage you, and anyone else who might be
> interested, to build up examples that are more intuitive to those
> coming at the work from a different starting point. This is exactly
> the idea behind starting up the cookbook on the wiki; it's all
> freely editable, so dig right in.
>
> Brad

Daniel de A. M. M. Silvestre
LIM01 - Laboratório de Informática Médica - HCFMUSP
Sala 1349 - Depto. de Patologia
Faculdade de Medicina
Universidade de São Paulo
Av. Dr. Arnaldo, 455                | e-mail:  daniel at dim.fm.usp.br
Cerqueira César                     |    Tel: +55-11-3061-7381
01246-903  -  São Paulo  -  SP      |    Cel: +55-11-8042-9369
BRASIL                              |  Skype: jarretinha

Esta mensagem pode conter informacao confidencial.
Se voce nao for o destinatario ou a pessoa autorizada a receber
esta mensagem, nao podera usar, copiar ou divulgar as informacoes nela
contidas ou tomar qualquer acao baseada nessas informacoes. Se
voce recebeu esta mensagem por engano, favor avisar imediatamente o
remetente, respondendo o e-mail e, em seguida, apague-o.
Agradecemos sua cooperacao.

This message may contain confidential information.
If you are not the addressee or authorized person to receive it for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on
this message or any information herein. If you have received this message
in error, please advise the sender immediately by replying this e-mail
message and delete it.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
               DIM   Faculdade de Medicina USP