[Biopython] superimposing problem

João Rodrigues anaryin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 23:33:38 UTC 2010

The problem here is that for that picture to be possible you have to have
exactly similar flanking residues. And in those structure of yours, it seems
you don't.

Peter was trying to find a way of making sure that the superimposition was
unambiguous. In other words, that the loops superimposed in the only way
possible (rotation- and translation-wise). By having more than one point per
residue, as you are doing with those CA, C, N and O atoms, you're getting
the best superimposition possible. However, since the ends of the loop do
not match, you can never fit them as in the picture.

I'm assuming you're generating these loops out of loop modelling program of
sampling program. Try adding dummy residues before and after the loops, say
two ALAs, and fix them during the procedure. If, on the other hand, you want
a good measure of displaying loop flexibility/variability, try superimposing
only the first residue. That should be unique enough to display the
different conformations.

Sorry I can't be of much help...

João [...] Rodrigues
http://doeidoei.wordpress.com