[BioPython] Compiling from CVS on OS X

Steve Lianoglou lists.steve at arachnedesign.net
Thu Nov 8 19:32:09 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I was having problems compiling biopython from source, specifically
getting the Bio/Cluster/clustermodule.c file to compile well.

The problem was that the system wasn't finding the `Numeric/
arrayobject.h` file for inclusion. I "fixed" it by editing the
setup.py file and adding '/opt/local/include/python2.4' to the
include_dirs param on line 474 so it would pick up the files in my
python install (that's just where numeric header was installed from
macports).

Is this the expected way to achieve this, or is there some envi-var,
or site.cfg to tweak to do this correctly (or is my python install
whacky from the get go?)

FWIW I'm using python 2.4 installed via macports.

Thanks,
-steve