[BioPython] help with NCBIWWW parser

Peter (BioPython List) biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 19:18:14 UTC 2006

Edoardo Saccenti wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> I'm trying to parse the output of blast search done using the NCBIWWW
> qblast.
>
> To parse the reusults I use:
>
>     import cStringIO
>     blast_out = cStringIO.StringIO(blast_result)
>     b_parser = NCBIWWW.BlastParser()
>     b_record = b_parser.parse(blast_out)
>
> as shown in the Biopython cookbook but my program fails and I get the
> following warning from my editor (eric)
>
> "The program being debugged contains an unspecified syntax error."
>
> so I do not know how and what to look for.
>
> I suppose NCBI changed something in the html file format.
>
> Any idea??

Could you save the blast result to a file?  Then other people could try
and reproduce the problem.

Ideally, could you file a bug and then attach the file to the bug.
Please include the version of BioPython, Python and the OS you are using.

Also, if you run the example in a python command prompt (or from IDLE) I
would expect to see a python stack trace - these are very helpful for
determining errors.