[BioPython] installation problems relating to mxTextTools

Karin Lagesen karin.lagesen at labmed.uio.no
Wed Sep 10 09:51:15 EDT 2003

Hi!

I am trying to install biopython on my machine which is
running Redhat 7.3.

The version of python I have is 2.2.1.

I installed Numeric as specified without a problem:

gunzip Numeric-23.1.tar.gz
tar -xvpf Numeric-23.1.tar
cd Numeric-23.1
python setup.py build
python setup.py install

I also rpmd mxTextTools in without any complaints:

rpm -i egenix-mx-base-2.0.5-py2.2_1.src.rpm

I then try to install biopython:

tar -xzvpf biopython-1.21.tar.gz
cd biopython-1.21
python setup.py install

And the result I get is:

running install
*** mxTextTools *** is either not installed or out of date.

This package is required for many Biopython features.  Please install
it before you install Biopython.
You can find mxTextTools at
http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/mxExtensions.html.

Do you want to continue this installation? (y/N)

I am just wondering where/what went wrong?

TIA,

Karin
--
Karin Lagesen, PhD student