[BioPython] New logo try-out

Ravinder Singh Ravinder.Singh at colorado.edu
Sun Jun 15 16:45:49 EDT 2003

Between two cents and two pence, my input will definitely be mucccccch
cheaper - only 2 paise (i'm from india. [1 cent == 50 paise] If my
fellow from UK can use lowercase 'i' for i'm, I'M TEMPTED TOO

for items in list [I'm, India] # they python way

Second, if simplcity is the reason and I'm all for it (as a teacher for
undergraduates, I leave no stones unturned (and I've no choice but) to
make my slides as simple as possible). My humble opinion is that gyro
funch's is the simplest logo that captures everything, WITHOUT making it
complicated. For example,

(1) if one python can do, why use two (remember, while we are at
simplicity, we don't need absolutely a helix - just like the car ad does
not tell how ABS works);

(2) if one head can do, why also include two heads and two tails, or
even any tail (cars or better SUVs have hookups for trailers but a
trailer is never shown in a car ad;

(3) my friends from the advertising industry tell that a picture is
worth at least a thousand words - so, if we can live without the word
"BIOPYTHON," why include it. Let the picture of python itself tell that
I'M PYTHON. As car ads on billboards try not using using words (the tiny
logo for Toyota, not the word is more powerful because people @70 mph
can get it without reading it or getting distracted from needing to make
words from letters, and I think speed (of people cruising though
websites) on the information->super->high->way is much faster than 70
mph (even for Al Gore), because there are no speeding tickets.

(4) ATGC and 01 (in the gyro funch's logo) in that grey out-of-focus
background don't contribute much complexity to the logo. If necessary,
they can be rendered even more blurred as my friends from the ad
industry tell that they (blurred/out of focus) letters won't add much
information content to the logo.

(5) In fact, the entire universe does not speak English, but a picture
of ominous and powerful PYTHON sends the same venomous message in the
remote corner of anywhere in the world (Picture tells it all) to an
illiterate, a child, or an educated non-English (there are some); in the
spirit of open source, let's be inclusive and accessible to as many as
possible..

First. In this 'us who use computers wanting things to be complete,
precise, accurate etc.' please don't include me -I'm a biologist (the
honor 'us' here is reserved for my friends from only 'the 01 world,' I
belong to 'the more primitive ATGC world.')

Friend, I'm not trying to criticize anything, so it not necessary to
ping-pong with these comments. I've said earlier, the logos submitted
are wonderful, and all who have contribtued are to be congratulated.

Sincerely,

Worth only 2 paise
(Ravinder)