[BioPython] Plans for release 0.95d01

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 10:51:40 -0500 (EST)

[I propose a method for having setup.py print warnings for missing
dependencies]

Thomas:
> I agree. It would be nice to be able to install a minimal biopython
> without a lot of external dependencies.

Jeff:
> Looks good, except that check_install should be generalized.
> import_string should actually be a function that checks whether the system
> is installed on the system.  This way, the client can write code that does
> more checks than seeing if something's on the system, e.g. can check for
> the proper version.

Sounds great. I just updated setup.py in CVS with a modified version
of what I posted that does smarter checking for versions, etc, based
on Jeff's suggestion.

I also updated the setup.py to install Martel once it is present in
CVS. I added a flag (INSTALL_MARTEL) in the script to determine
whether or not to install the martel packages. Right now it is off
since Martel isn't in there, but in the final release I imagine it
would be on by default. This seems to work if I just put Martel-0.5
(named Martel, of course) into my biopython directory.

What do people think? Would these work okay?

Brad