[BioPython] Python as educational tool

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Johannes_H=FCsing?= tmi0m0@spi.power.uni-essen.de
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:13:50 +0200

On Fri 2000-07-14 (10:28), Brad Chapman wrote:
> Hi Johannes;

Hi Brad and list,

thanks to Brad for the thorough reply which helps me make up my mind.

I wrote:
[...]
> > The course is to last a whole year and contains a par force tour
> through
> > medicine, genomics, data management, statistics, and the like.

Oh, there's one thing I forgot: These are scientist who had trouble
finding an apt job and undergo another round of education, so they have
better prospects.

>     To be fair -- if you haven't checked them out there are two other
> similar projects: Bioperl (www.bioperl.org) and Biojava
> (www.biojava.org).

Given the goal of the course, I must admit that Java has a better
buzzword compliance on the job market (as of now) so chances are that
Java will be favoured. Someone even brought up the option of VBA, and
this is something I'd like to definitely avoid. Having learnt programming
in Basic myself I am aware of the damage it can do to your standards.

I think I'll suggest Java and, failing that, Python.

Sorry.

Greetings

Johannes

----- End forwarded message -----