[BioPython] plans for next release

Cayte katel@worldpath.net
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:00:43 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brad Chapman" <chapmanb@arches.uga.edu>
To: "Cayte" <katel@worldpath.net>
Cc: "Jeffrey Chang" <jchang@smi.stanford.edu>; <biopython@biopython.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: [BioPython] plans for next release

> Jeff:
> > > Thomas Sicheritz-Ponten is working on visualization with his xbbtools,
> > > using Tk instead of wx, though.
> > >

> Cayte:
> >    I'm not sure its supported on Windows.  The web description mentioned
> > Linux but didn't mention Windows.  It imports posix.
>
> Hi Cayte -- I just looked at this using my little bit of Windows/python
> knowledge. It looks like Thomas is importing posix/posixpath in all of
> the different modules in xbbtools, but never actually using them. I
> commented out all of the imports, installed Pmw, and xbbtools seems to
> run okay on the machine I was playing on (vanilla Windows 98).
>
> I'm not sure if there is a good reason to import the posix stuff
> (Thomas?) but maybe if not, it might be good to get rid of the imports
> so it'll run nicely on Windows as well.

  I ran it and it displayed a Fasta file.  But when I selected
Translations->6 Frames, it caused this trace.

C:\biopython-0.90d04\Scripts\xbbtools>python xbbtools.py lupine.nu
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\python20\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1287, in __call__
    return apply(self.func, args)
  File ".\xbb_widget.py", line 333, in gcframe
    np = NotePad()
  File ".\xbb_utils.py", line 24, in __init__
    self.tid = Pmw.ScrolledText(self)
AttributeError: ScrolledText

  The menu items barely show up, because in Windows, they're xdark green on
black, unless thry're highlighted.

  It would be efficient to coordinate different GUIs if its feasable?  On
the other hand, if I experiment, I don't want to mess up someone elses'
code.

                                             Cayte