[Biopython-dev] Another Biopython release?

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:34:07 UTC 2009

Hi Peter;

> > I know it's been only a month since we released Biopython 1.51, but
> > does anyone (other than me) think that we already have enough done
> > to warrant another release? The associated CVS freeze would also
> > serve as a good break point for moving to github (see other threads).

I don't have a strong opinion about the release. It seems a little
early but if you think we are ready go for it.

I have tested Osvaldo's Novoalign commandline object and have it
ready to get in. Right now it's in a git tree but I can move it
over to a CVS tree and integrate it for the release. It'll live in
Bio/Sequencing/Applications like you suggested. I should be able to
do that this evening.

I am all about the move to Git and GitHub. Anything we can do to
finish that off and make it official is cool by me.

> That would be great. As for the move to github, I've added some (quite
> preliminary) docs for developers on how to make commits to the main
> branch using git and github to the wiki:
> http://www.biopython.org/wiki/GitUsage#Commiting_changes_to_main_branch

This is looking great. I'd agree with Eric that we should be
consistent in the doc for suggestions on naming the official
biopython branch:

git remote add upstream git://github.com/biopython/biopython.git
git remote add official git at github.com:biopython/biopython.git

My vote is for the "official" naming which is a little more
specific.

Great stuff,
Brad