[Bioperl-pipeline] Requirements for pipeline installation

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:30:55 +0800 (SGT)

Sorry I was tired at work before, now more relaxed. What I meant is that
for perl modules in general, especially ensembl, bioperl,etc. you don't
need to do a system-wide install, i.e. you don't need to type make
install.

All you have to do is download them, place them where you prefer, and
point your PERL5LIB to it. Usually I place all perl source in a directory
called src/ and then set the PERL5LIB to the directories in there.

That would be setenv PERL5LIB $HOME/src/bioperl-live/:$HOME/src/bioperl-run:$HOME/src/bioperl-pipeline.... etc....

This is much better than installing because if you have multiple branches
and so on you just change your PERL5LIB.

Usually we only install "system" modules such as DBI, GD,etc. which
everybody wants to use in the group.

Also, you should definitely check out all the code by anonymous CVS, no
branch, so that if we add, fix, improve things, you can easily just type
"cvs update" and all wil be updated for you. This will come in very handy
if we add some functionality specifically for you and commit it to the CVS
repository, then we can just send you a mail telling you to cvs update
your code.

Any more help, we are here ;)

Elia

* http://www.fugu-sg.org/~elia *