[Bioperl-pipeline] [biogrid] The Gridbus Project Info + call for application partners... (fwd)

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:55:44 +0800 (SGT)

Might be worth looking into?

Elia

********************************
* http://www.fugu-sg.org/~elia *
* tel:    +65 6874 1467        *
* mobile: +65 9030 7613        *
* fax:    +65 6777 1117        *
********************************

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:35:38 +1000
From: Rajkumar Buyya <raj@cs.mu.oz.au>
To: biogrid@apbionet.org
Subject: [biogrid] The Gridbus Project Info + call for application
    partners...

Dear All,

Please find enclosed brief description of our new "open source"
Gridbus project. It is the next-generation of our previous work on
Economic Paradigm for Grid Computing. The Gridbus project is global,
international and welcomes participation from all of you.

In the past, we have involved in Grid enabling applications such as
"Drug Discover/Docking" (www.buyya.com/vlab) and recently on "Brain
Activity Analysis" (my talk at PRAGMA
meting:http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~raj/talks/Gridbus-BrainGrid.ppt).

The new capabilities that we are developing will enable the composition
of many (existing/legacy) applications as distributed application, which
can then be processed on the Grid. [The back end for our tools will be
CPM/Jxta and Globus]. I believe that these tools will be useful for
Biology community. So if you are interested in collaborating with us
either to helps us in in developing these tools, feeding your
application requirements, or interfacing your existing efforts with the
Gridbus technologies, it will be great to hear from you. We can then
further explore details on joint exploration.

cheers
Raj

The Gridbus Project: Enabling Service-Oriented Grid Computing & Business

The Grid Computing and Distributed Systems (GRIDS) Laboratory at the
University of Melbourne is actively engaged in the design and
development of next-generation parallel and distributed computing
systems and applications. The Lab's flagship "Open Source" project,
called Gridbus, is developing technology that enables GRID computing and
BUSiness. The Gridbus project team is developing cluster and grid
technologies (middleware, tools, and applications) that deliver
end-to-end quality of services depending on user requirements. They
include Economic Grid Scheduler, Cluster Scheduler (Libra), Grid
modeling and simulation (GridSim), Data Grid broker, GridBank, and GUI
tools for workflow management and composition of distributed
applications from  (legacy) software components. The Gridbus scheduling
system aggregates or leases of services of distributed resources
depending on their availability, capability, performance, cost, and
users quality-of-service requirements. The Gridbus technology
development is driven by requirements of various applications including
Drug Design, High Energy  Physics, and Brain Activity Analysis. The
World-Wide Grid (WWG) testbed  used in this research contains resources
from organizations around the globe.

The Gridbus project sponsorers include: Sun Microsystems Inc., Victorian
Partnership for Advanced Computing, University of Melbourne, and
Australian Research Council. We welcome collaboration from indviduals
and organisations around the world, who are interested in getting
involved in this open source R&D project. For further information,
please refer to the Gridbus Project home page: http://www.gridbus.org

Rajkumar Buyya
Grid Computing and Distributed Systems (GRIDS) Lab: http://gridbus.org
Dept. of Computer Science and Software Engineering
The University of Melbourne
SEECS Building, Room. 3.38
221 Bouverie St., Carlton
Melbourne, Australia
Phone: +61-3-8344 9317 (office); +61-3-9571 3629 (home)
Fax: +61-3-9348 1184; eFax: +1-801-720-9272
Email: rajkumar@buyya.com | raj@cs.mu.oz.au